Hopefully by the time you read this you’ve listend to the new free download we’ve given you called ‘Deserted’. If not, please go to Facebook.com/HonorSociety and from the Free Music tab get the song and listen. I’ll wait. *folds hands.
I wanted to give you a little bit of the story behind the scenes of the song.
The first question I would have if I were you: “is this, along with ‘Obsession’, the new Honor Society sound?” The answer is yes…and no. Confused? Goooooood. Allow Professor Brunz to clear it up. Part of the goal for us with the HONORsystem (our free music giveaway program) is to help push the envelope of what you might expect to hear from HS, or at least to get a further idea of what we’re capable of. The guys and I have tons of songs we’ve written that range in all genres from rock to country to hip hop to r&b. But even with its wide range, its ALL Honor Society. In my humble opinion the best kind of HS song has a sprinkling of each of those genres in any given single song. It could be a rock song with a melody that has country tendencies and a hip hop groove, but I digress…That’s another blog to be written at another time in a different leather jacket.
The point is: the HONORsystem (and props to our former advisor Jared Rosenberg and also Kanye West for the idea and courage to give away free music) was designed to not only give you, our fans, free music but to free us up as artists. To be able to give a song to you that isn’t part of a larger cohesive unit like an album and a look deeper into one corner of our style.
‘Deserted’ started as a jam session between Jay and Alex one day at our rehearsal space in North Hollywood. (Rage Against the Machine rehearses there too, my 14 year old self is freaking right now). They took down a quick iPhone voice memo of it and sent it to me and Andy. I immediately loved it. It then became part of a list of about 25-30 song ideas and riffs that we have going at any given time.
Simultaneously to this I was running the experiment of giving titles to new music we came up with as soon as I heard it. I’m trying something new where I give it a title that reflects the very first feeling I get from it as I hear it. “Obsession” came about the same way. When I heard the iPhone recording of the music the first word that popped into my head was ‘deserted’. So..voila! “Deserted”.
Job well done right? Honor Society RULES! Have a beer guys, time to celebrate! Wrong. We had a droning jam and a title and that’s it. *Droning - for those who are non-musicians - sounds like a negative word, but it’s just a fancy way of saying it is a piece of music without much change, it ‘drones’ on one note or chord.
While laying in bed one night, about to fall asleep, a phrase came to me, ‘we all fall down’. I jotted it down quickly and fell asleep. But the way I was hearing in my head was ‘we ALL fall down’. The phrase is not meant to convey a negativity that ‘we all FALL DOWN’, but rather ‘we ALL fall down’. It’s part of life, its part of growing up, its part of transition. And that’s OK. You can hear it in the melody I wrote, ‘we ALLLLLL falll downnn’.
The song came together pretty quickly after one night of writing it on acoustic guitars -to make sure the song held up and that weren’t just leaning on the power of the echoing guitars and awesome drum part. It was recorded in our home studio, The Elderberry and our live rehearsal space as well. It’s a good headphone listen, lots of cool things happening in this one.
Before this gets too long, I really hope you enjoy the song. I hope it touches you. I hope it makes you realize most people go through the same things even though it feels like you’re going through it alone, even your favorite band goes through it. We ARE your favorite band right? *pause *side eye
Either way, we’re making a lot of exciting music for our next album (some of our best stuff yet), tours are in the works, and we’re honored to be YOUR band. The orignal gentlemen.
I want you to remember one more thing. There is one lyric we didn’t put in the song, but its implied: We ALL fall down. But, WE ALL GET BACK UP.
Everyday I read through my social media how much a lot of you are going through and it gets heavy on my heart, but I take it very seriously the fact that you open up to us. We wish we could make it all better, and we’re doing our best. I mean it when I say that we (me, Jay, Alex and Andy) care about you and we’re listening as much as we can. This song will hopefully let you know you’re not alone ..and to borrow from Demi, “Stay Strong”.
Los Angeles, CA
p.s. As part of the deal with you guys to give away free music (and y’all were amazing with this when it came to the last song ‘Obsession’, when the Facebook.com/HonorSociety page grows an additional 2000 NEW likes we will release another free new song. Much love.
p.p.s I’m gonna try to get Alex or Jay to write a quick blog on the day they started the jam that became “Deserted”.
*artwork above by Alexander Noyes (of HONOR SOCIETY)
- youaresimplymyfavorite likes this
- maria-shs likes this
- oneofakind343 likes this
- lifeincolorx23 likes this
- musicsinmysoul2 likes this
- kenziegrlluvsu reblogged this from honorsocietymusic
- saferincages likes this
- saferincages reblogged this from riskybusinessmb and added:
- ilovekjnjjb reblogged this from honorsocietymusic
- themusicthemoment likes this
- cruzanisaurusrex reblogged this from theroserpages
- weirdgrimtales reblogged this from yosoyelcomodoro
- aliciasayshello reblogged this from theroserpages
- xexoshawolelfx reblogged this from theroserpages
- kendallscovergirl90 reblogged this from theroserpages
- ihavenoplanstoday reblogged this from riskybusinessmb
- saverockandrolloncarinsurance likes this
- xleahnicolex reblogged this from yosoyelcomodoro
- ilovecandyandpapertowels reblogged this from theroserpages
- iminlovewithnickj reblogged this from noduhhonorsociety
- noduhhonorsociety reblogged this from theroserpages
- katarinajonas-hs reblogged this from theroserpages
- iknowyourescaredmoonlight reblogged this from riskybusinessmb and added:
- manuhappy reblogged this from similartoheroes
- kitty-scratches likes this
- inconnufleur reblogged this from theroserpages
- inconnufleur likes this
- beasyouare reblogged this from theroserpages
- emelynathaly reblogged this from theroserpages
- upsidedown-riskybusiness reblogged this from theroserpages
- dmcllnts likes this
- smiley1818 likes this
- oneofakind343 reblogged this from theroserpages
- heathcliffsthename likes this
- find-you-in-the-dark likes this
- hsrocks4ever likes this
- boatforshore likes this
- restless-nights-but-lullabies reblogged this from theroserpages
- riskybusinessaz reblogged this from theroserpages
- ariellelinnette reblogged this from riskybusinessmb and added:
- ariellelinnette likes this
- nailyouniall likes this
- inhermindisherfavoriteplace reblogged this from theroserpages
- bandsruinedmybankaccount reblogged this from theroserpages
- echelon6277 likes this
- hotmessofagirl likes this
- restless-nights-but-lullabies likes this
- whatafangirl likes this
- theroserpages reblogged this from riskybusinessmb and added:
- holysmokesandgeewhiz likes this